Mobile Deposit is a free convenience service that allows you to take pictures of your paper checks with your smartphone or tablet device and deposit them quickly and securely into your St. Mary's Credit Union accounts. All you need is a compatible smartphone or tablet device, our free SMCU Mobile Banking app, and an account at St. Mary's Credit Union.
Now you can make deposits on your schedule, 24/7. Download our SMCU Mobile Banking app today and get immediate access to the free Mobile Deposit service.
- Deposit checks with your smartphone or tablet on your schedule
- Make secure deposits anytime, anywhere
- Available with the free SMCU Mobile Banking app for Apple and Androids devices
Have questions? Our Member Service Center Representatives are ready to help! Give them a call at 866-585-7628.
Once you have installed the SMCU Mobile Banking app onto your device, you can begin using Mobile Deposit. Follow the steps below to submit a check for deposit.
1. Make sure the back of the check is endorsed with:
- The words "For SMCU Mobile Deposit Only"
- Followed by your signature
PLEASE NOTE: If the back of the check is not properly endorsed, it may be rejected from processing.
2. Log onto the SMCU Mobile Banking app on your device.
3. Select "Deposit a Check" from the menu options within the app.
4. Follow the onscreen instructions to select the correct deposit account, enter the amount of your check, and photograph the front and back of your check. Then, confirm your deposit. Please refer to our Funds Availability Policy to determine when your deposit will be available for use.
5. Please keep your paper check until funds are posted to your account.
What types of checks can be deposited through Mobile Deposit?
Personal and business checks that are drawn on financial institutions located in the United States may be deposited through Mobile Deposit. The following items, however, CANNOT be deposited through Mobile Deposit:
- Items drawn on your accounts or on accounts of any business owned by you
- Items made payable to a party other than you, whether or not endorsed over to you
- Items stamped or watermarked "Void," "Non-Negotiable" or any other words of similar import
- Items that have been altered
- Items that are stale dated (i.e., more than six months prior to date of deposit) or postdated
- Incomplete items
- Items from Canada or any other foreign countries
- Items of poor image quality
- Savings bonds
- Counter checks
How secure is Mobile Deposit?
Mobile Deposit integrates completely with St. Mary's Credit Union's current security systems. The password and multifactor authentication used for Mobile Banking with the SMCU Mobile app also protect your Mobile Deposit transactions.
What do I need to run Mobile Deposit?
Mobile Deposit is a secure, app based system. You will need:
- An iPhone® or Android™ smartphone or an iPad® or Android™ tablet with camera capabilities
- The SMCU Mobile Banking app, available for free in iTunes or Google Play
- An account in good standing with St. Mary's Credit Union
Are there any deposit limitations of Mobile Deposit?
The total dollar amount of all of the checks that you deposit via Mobile Deposit, also know as Qualifying Items, is limited to $5,000.00 per day.
Am I able to view my deposit history within Mobile Deposit?
The deposit history can be viewed within Mobile Deposit for thirty (30) days after submission. History prior to that will be available through Online Banking.
When can Mobile Deposits be submitted to St. Mary's Credit Union?
You can submit Mobile Deposits 24 hours a day, 7 days a week including weekends and holidays.
When will my Mobile Deposits be posted into my account?
Mobile Deposits are typically processed like traditional paper deposits, and will be posted on the current or next business day depending on when they are received. In some cases, the window for processing Mobile Deposits may be extended beyond the hours for traditional paper deposits. Please refer to our Funds Availability Policy to determine when your deposit will be available for use.
What should I do with the original paper checks after the Mobile Deposits are made?
We recommend that you store original paper checks in a secure location for 60 days. This will allow you to keep track of which checks you have deposited with us and which still need to be deposited. Plus, the software is designed to compare each check to all previous checks that you have deposited. If a possible duplicate item is found, St. Mary's Credit Union will be alerted and all duplicates will be closely analyzed and addressed.
How do I know if the picture quality is acceptable?
Picture quality is required to meet certain specifications, including:
- Checks should be written in blue or black ink
- Handwriting must be legible
- The MICR line must appear fully intact
- Checks must be made payable to the member in ownership of the receiving account
- Checks must be signed by the payor
- Checks must be properly endorsed by the member
- Checks must be properly dated
- The numeric dollar amount must match the written dollar amount
If the check picture does not meet any of these specifications, you will be alerted.